Waterboro, September 10, 2014
The RSU 57 School Board approved sending the issue of the field and athletic facility renovation to voters during the upcoming November 4th election based on the recommendation the Finance Committee. Voters will be asked to approve a bond of $4.9 million for a project that will cost $6.8 million. The balance will come from grants, donations and district capital funds.
Public opportunity to vote on this bond item will be included the general elections set for Tuesday Nov 4, 2014.
**Public Hearing scheduled for Monday, October 20th at 7pm in the High School Auditorium
This project will include:
Creating a Stadium Complex for use by more High School and Community teams and organizations.
- Resurfacing the track, which is currently unusable for competition due to deterioration. This renovation will provide a safe location for athletes to practice and for community members alike. Massabesic will also be able to host track meets again including potentially regional and state competitions.
- Widening the field surface to accommodate soccer, field hockey, lacrosse and other field sports, adding greater access to lighted competition areas. This piece of the project will include a synthetic surface which will allow many more teams to have access to the field.
- Installing permanent bleachers to accommodate spectator seating for all events.
- Leveling other playing fields and practice fields increasing safety for all using them.
- Upgrading softball and baseball fields to allow home games (softball) to be home.
- Constructing new tennis courts for High School competition and public use.
- Adding bathroom facilities, storage facilities and parking to accommodate the public.
- Constructing a new maintenance facility. The current maintenance space within the High School building will be converted to a fitness center for students, athletes and community use.
- Replacing fencing for security purposes and controlling access more efficiently.
If approved in November the project will be bid with the expectation of beginning construction in the spring of 2015. Local contractors and businesses will be encouraged to bid on this project or participate however possible.